- Hits: 116
Hogmany is the Scots term for New Year's Eve (le réveillon du premier de l'an). In the Scottish culture, generally Hogmany is a bigger and more important event than Christmas Eve (le réveillon de Noël). This may be a consequence of the Protestant Reformation and in particular the Presbyterian Church of Scotland (as opposed to the Roman Catholic Church or Anglicans). Origins of Hogmanay are not entirely certain but are generally believed to originate from Norse and Gaelic customs surrounding the winter solstice.
- Hits: 247
The Northwest Territorial Pipe Band is currently learning a new bagpiping tune Diu Regnare, composed by well-known Scottish piper Stuart Liddell.
This tune was composed specifically for the platinum anniversary of the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 2, on June 2, 1952 (so the anniversary is a sunset on June 2, 2022).
The plan is for the Band to play this tune at sunset on June 2, 2022.
The first link below includes the sheet music and a sound file of the tune on the pipes. The second link is the tune with a drum score. Pipers and drummers who intend to play this tune should register at on the third website listed. The remaining sites relate to activities for the Platinum Jubilee and the last site is a reminder of the role of the Governor General, the Queen's representative for Canada.
- Diu Regnare | Stuart Liddell (Sheet music and performed on the pipes)
- 6/8 March: Diu Regnare (Long to Reign) - Bing video (Drum score)
- Piping & Drumming the Queens Platinum Jubilee (mailchi.mp) (Registration form)
- The-Queens-Platinum-Jubilee-Beacons-Guide.pdf (slcc.co.uk) (General guide on the Platinum Jubilee Beacons Guide)
- The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022 (UK Government Site)
- The Queen's Platinum Jubilee | The Royal Family (Royal Family Site)
- Role | The Governor General of Canada (gg.ca)